Monday, February 13, 2012

There are 29 people on this saxophone week that I’m attending.  Twenty eight of them have not only been coming here for years but regularly attend similar events in other parts of the country.

A friend who lives in this area and who knows the venue from professional events said that however the music went I could rely on the quality of the food.  She was right about that and the bar is well stocked and the people who run the place and my fellow musicians are very friendly so it will be a pleasant week.

It’s just a pity that for most of the time I’m out of my depth musically.

There are four one and a half hour sessions a day.  For three of them we play in groups of different sizes; trios, quartets, septets or whatever.  The fourth session takes place after dinner and involves everyone.  Last night that seemed hard to me but it was as nothing compared to this evening.  The Dunedin Wind Band repertoire is a piece of the proverbial in comparison.

But I dare say I’m learning something, like how far I’ve got to go.

No comments: