Saturday, February 11, 2012

Loud music and noisy TVs in pubs I have long regarded as a scourge.  On the other hand a silent TV when an important looking news item is being shown is frustrating.  So if there is a TV I like it to be one where the dialogue or commentary appears as text on the screen.

The bonus ball is that like machine translation, speech recognition software frequently offers unintentional humour.  I particularly enjoyed a report I saw last night when an Argentinian spokesman accused Britain of miniaturising the South Atlantic and our response to the further complaint of having deployed a slinky new destroyer was that the vessel previously on station was getting cold.

Amusing, but I hope the bugs are sorted out before voice controlled vehicles are let loose on the roads.

No comments: