Monday, February 07, 2011

What I liked about Courtney Pine and his band ( apart from the music which was wonderful and was being heard in public for only the second time) was that they got on stage promptly and played for a solid two hours dovetailing neatly with the Dunfermline/ Edinburgh bus timetable.

Cyrus Chestnut on the other hand, for all that he started on time, followed the traditional pattern of playing for about half an hour, having a short, verging on long break, playing for another half hour or so then disappearing briefly to shuffle coyly back on stage for an encore.

Not that I'm complaining about the music. Far from it. He was brilliant and endeared himself doubly to the audience when his mobile phone went off.

No, the problem was that this left me with 50 minutes to fill before I could get a bus. But as we know every cloud has a silver lining and in those 50 minutes I enjoyed a hauf an a hauf (non Scots drinkers check here) and improved my Gaelic to boot.

For the pub in which I sought refuge had a board advertising various whiskies and giving an English translation of their names. Now from TV advertising I knew that Glenmorangie meant "glen of tranquility" but the pub's translation "glen of great peace" made lots of sense for leaving aside "glen" which has passed into English most Scottish non Gaels will recognise that "mor" means "big". So now I know the Gaelic for peace. Could this be where Angie from Eastenders got her name?

Glenfiddich meaning "glen of the deer" could probably be guessed from the stag's head on their label and "big stone" for Cragganmore seems obvious but "healthy days" for my favourite tipple Laphroaig is welcome confirmation of how good it is.

No comments: