Saturday, February 05, 2011

Thursday's snow put me off from playing golf after my session at the range. I was relieved but not surprised when Friday dawned with only constant rain. Not surprised because I was going to Glasgow to lunch with a friend and it seems to me that it always rains when I go there.

I’d picked out a restaurant from a little 2010 Glasgow dining guide and had a look at the menus on their website and it all looks fine. Scottish recipes using local produce, family run and so on. When we got there the premises looked as though they’d been empty for years. Back home I had a closer look at the website and found they were now out in Houston (Renfrewshire not Texas!).

We had an excellent Chinese lunch just across the road but I was disappointed that a Scottish flavoured place had gone.

Because I was going on to Dunfermline later for an evening at the Fife Jazz Festival I decided to spend the afternoon in Glasgow and travel to Dunfermline from there. We went to the Scottish Caravan and Outdoor Leisure Show. I had a couple of reasons for that. I’m not in the least interested in caravans but I flirt from time to time with the idea of a camper van to trot around Europe with and I think betimes of a little log cabin that I could plonk down in France when our house there is sold. I had also been seduced by pictures of flapping sails on their site but the boats had sailed on leaving a row of big gas guzzling jet skis to cram into your caravan. It was a little disappointing but it kept me out of the rain.

The concert in Dunfermline was a bit of a challenge. I wouldn’t say that by the end I liked what they had played but my ears were a bit more receptive. Free improvisation they call it. Free seems to mean that they are not constrained by tunes or harmonies. Tonight I’m going to hear Courtney Pine whose music is bit more tuneful and then tomorrow an American called Cyrus Chestnut with a traditional piano, bass and drums trio. It’s a very diverse festival.

No comments: