Tuesday, September 19, 2023

I included Okayama in my itinerary specifically because it has another of Japan's top three garden.  It has most of the features you associate with Japanese gardens; water, bridges, sculpted trees, shaded pavilions and a castle in the background.  But it also has open grassy spaces which others don't, even stretching to planted out fields.  I'm told this reflects its 17th century origins as farmland that the local bigwig liked to gaze on.

I had arrived in Okayama shortly after 12 noon so I dropped my baggage at the hotel, which is rather pleasant by the way, and spent all afternoon in the garden.  It was a public holiday, Respect for the Aged Day.  I can't say I noticed it but in Korakuen garden there were two special events that I missed.  One was the performance of something called a kamishibai which means a paper play (in the sense of drama).  It was over before I got there but the internet tells me the sort of thing it was.  It does seem to be for kids rather than the aged but maybe it's a nod to the second childhood that is rumoured to strike many of us.

The other was the release of cranes for an hour early in the morning.  They  are normally caged.  Goodness knows how they get them back in after they've enjoyed the freedom to strut around on the grass and fly in the sky.  I expect food has something to do with it.

I saw them in their caged area but there has been some miracle performed by my camera.  Look at this shot.  It's not a good picture at all but it clearly shows the netting the bird is behind.


Then look at this one of the crane in the next section where the camera has removed the netting in front of the bird.  Again it's a poor picture but I did absolutely nothing.  I didn't climb over and cut a hole in the netting.  I didn't manipulate the picture when taking it or with Photoshop afterwards.  It's a Turin shroud moment in reverse.

I went out in the evening to eat and had the joy of eating a grilled mackerel with chopsticks.  

Now here's a picture of my breakfast this morning.  I'm posting it to illustrate what I said about the thickness of bread after my first trip.  That's at least twice as thick as a British slice of toast.

An American came into the cafe while I was breakfasting and we chatted for quite a while.  He was very talkative which I suppose can be useful for teaching English, for that was his job.  He'd been in Japan for thirteen years, was married to a Japanese girl and had two nice looking kids.  Coincidentally he lives in Kurashiki which is where I was headed.  He recommended I also visit Takamatsu, which I'd already pencilled in because it involves crossing what they call The Inland Sea to another of the four main islands of Japan.  In this case from Honshu to Shikoku. I'm going there tomorrow and will check out his opinion that Takamatsu's Ritsurin Garden is better than Korakuen.

Eventually I went off to catch a train to Kurashiki and left him waiting for his pupil to turn up.  I had a lovely time there.  The town is a nice size and has a beautifully maintained historic quarter, mainly given over to souvenir shops and eateries.  Good quality craft souvenirs that call for room in your suitcase and money in your wallet.  I'm on a hand baggage trip so temptation is easily avoided.

What I wanted but couldn't find anywhere was postcards.  Not quite anywhere. I found an arts materials shop that had some stuff, mostly non Japanese, like sketches of Monnet's water lilies.  The Japanese themed cards were whimsical or anime characters, not at all what I was looking for.  When I got to the station to come back to Okayama I asked in the bookshop.  None there and the girl had no idea where they might be had.  Maybe the tourist office (also in the station) will know where I can get some.  In fact they stocked them so problem solved.  I got some stamps at the post office (also in the station), bought a ballpoint (also in the station) and have now written them (not in the station).  It was important to me that I should send postcards from Kurashiki.

After all that blethering here are some pictures,

Historic area roofscape with modern town behind

Typical large house by the river

Look at that phone box

In the garden of one of the houses

Street view

They're doing a commercial shot of some sort


That all important station

No comments: