Friday, September 15, 2023

 

After breakfast on Thursday I hastened to the grounds of the Hachimangu temple expecting to see more activity than I did.  There were lots of people there pottering about, washing their hands, clapping, throwing money into special bins, buying fortune forecasts, hanging up prayers, that is doing all the things that temple/shrine visitors do.  But there was not the religious ritual parade I was expecting.

It turns out that on this the first day of the festival the priests all pop down to the beach and contemplate the ocean.  Whether they take a dip or not I don't know.

In the course of my enquiries a helpful lady told me that there would be a Taiko drumming session in the evening and you can read about that and listen to it a little further on in this post.

I filled in the day with various explorations, including taking a trip along the coast in this dinky little train which travels mostly within spitting distance of peoples' houses.

This is a spot called Enoshima which is quite pretty.

At intervals along the promenade there are notices telling you what to do in the event of a tsunami.  They advise you that there might not be a tsunami warning so you should keep an eye on the state of the sea.  You can just make out in the picture a couple of surfboarders waiting hopefully for a mini tsunami to have a bit of fun with.  They didn't have much luck while I was watching. 

What I have failed to mention is the beauty of the route to the temple.  There is a wide avenue leading from just outside the station with two traffic streams in the middle of which is this gorgeous tre-lined walkway.

When there is blossom on the trees it must be truly spectacular.  On my strolls to and fro I snapped this traditionally dressed couple out for their stroll

and this chap by the station who I take to be a religious beggar and has been there every time I've passed that way.  I sat with a cool drink watching hime for a while but no-one popped anything into his bowl.

In the evening I went back to the Hachimangu temple for the drumming and sat on the steps leading up to the main shrine for an hour admiring the complexity and skill of the performance.  Enjoying the sound as well of course.  The video immediately below is sound but no action (no drummers even and only half the stage) and the one after it action but no sound.  In the fullness of time I may get both into the same file.  Daringly I may even try to create a video using either my phone or my camera.  Both have buttons you can press that I believe would make that happen.


.

On my way back to the hotel I had something to eat.  It was the most delicious bowl of ramen and veg in a rich black piping hot soy broth with a lump of pork belly in it that melted off the chopsticks.

No comments: