Friday, August 15, 2014

One strategy when looking for the silver threepenny bits hidden in the plum pudding that is the Fringe is to look for authors whose work you like or admire.

That worked well for me with David Mamet but I came a cropper with David Greig.  I really found The Cosmonaut's Last Message To The Woman He Once Loved In The Former Soviet Union difficult to enjoy.  The staging of it in Riddle's Court didn't help.  The rule there should be don't let your actors sit down because no-one beyond the front row will be able to see them, and above all don't let them lie down.  In this production they sat down a lot and lay down now and then.  To be fair the cosmonauts themselves were clearly visible throughout on an elevated platform but it would all have worked better if the audience had been elevated.  Raked seating next time please.

Now as to the play itself I didn't have much of a clue about what was going on so turned to the internet when I got home.  The Guardian's review of a 2005 production says "....it is pretty hard work for the audience...".  I agree.  But what's it about?

Well it seems communication and in particular the failure to communicate is the theme.  So I must congratulate Mr Greig on his success in failing to communicate with me.

No comments: