Saturday, August 09, 2014

No mikes were in evidence in Blackwells bookshop where Trinity College presented a selection of pieces from their latest syllabuses.  Piano, recorder, clarinet and saxophone were all played by Trinity staff and a local music teacher treated us to a set of traditional Scottish fiddle tunes.

Introduced as having achieved unbelievably high marks in her grade 6 exam a sweet little girl from Heriot's delighted the audience with a haunting harp melody.

The concert was free and I even came away with a goodie bag.  The contents were not wildly exciting but I always have need of a biro that hasn't yet run out of ink.

On the way home from FOH duties for the Grads  I popped into a free standup comedy show.  At most standup shows it's blindingly obvious that the Fringe exercises no quality control over participants and this show was no exception.

Thanks to the couple of glasses of wine I'd had earlier in the evening though I found it mildly enjoyable and eagerly seized the opportunity given to me to grunt fiercely into a microphone as one comic drew his audience into his act.

No comments: