Friday, May 02, 2014

When I came out of The Forbidden Experiment I dallied over some Ivor Cutler CDs and agreed with the Traverse chap manning the stall that The Beautiful Cosmos of Ivor Cutler was well worth seeing.  "What about the show I'd just seen?" he asked.  "Unbearable" was my reply.  Mark Fisher in the Guardian was more sympathetic but certainly puts his finger on one of the main reasons why I found it so unsatisfactory when he  says  "...but its real problem is that it's not fully integrated into a coherent whole."  I'm not sure that it's even integrated into an incoherent whole.

 I can't say I was ever particularly an Ivor Cutler fan but I did find that his deadpan humour generally made me smile, and then shake my head at its absurdity.  My favourite piece is "Who tore your trousers James?" but I can't find a freely available recording of that so try this one as a taster.  

No comments: