Saturday, May 31, 2014

I should have been at the theatre tonight but I was unwilling to hit the record button and leave watching the conclusion of Murray's match until I'd come home.  In the event I wouldn't have seen the end because the match was suspended at seven all in the fifth set.  Murray should really have finished it off in the fourth but he served two double faults in a row and his game collapsed.

It was a great match though with almost as many ups and downs as that fascinating 19th century French cause cĂ©lebre, the Dreyfus affair.  Robert Harris's fictionalised account, An Officer and a Spy, which I bought at the recent Historical Fiction Festival is a cracking read that has kept me up late a couple of nights.

Apart from giving us an insight into the prevailing anti-Semitism of the time and the strain put on the French  army's self-respect by its defeat at the hands of the Prussians in 1870 the story of the unravelling of the case is quite gripping.  I suppose it added to my enjoyment that while I lived in Paris I was in a show that featured Dreyfus's degradation and that I've seen with my own eyes Devil's Island where he was incarcerated.

Here it is, seen from Isle Royale the main island in the little group it belongs to off the coast of French  Guiana.

No comments: