Sunday, January 06, 2013

The mist over the Ribble valley has been my view for the past few days while I've been away with my saxophone in deepest Lancashire.  There were around 25 of us, some who had been playing for over sixty years and me the fresh-faced beginner with only three notches on his horn.  The host in between included a former clergyman who goes busking.

We had four sessions of music making a day interrupted by eating and drinking opportunities. Those anxious for fresh air had enough free time to take country walks in the afternoons but I held my fire in that respect making up for it today with a grand 18 hole hike on the side of the Pentlands.

The music varied from fast and furious to slow and stately and the ensembles from trios to massed choir.  I was all out of puff by the end of it but loved it all. 

No comments: