Tuesday, January 08, 2013

The Diceman is a book that very much tickled my imagination.  The hero decides that his life should be governed by the throw of the dice.  The story is a little bit black since he tends to set up decisions of the type - "If I throw a six I'll kill my wife, otherwise I won't".

On New Year's Day we had a less unpleasant opportunity to let the dice guide us through a series of entertainments over the course of the afternoon.

You turned up at the museum, where incidentally I caught sight of an actor friend kitted out in as a druid or an Egyptian priest helping the public to take part in a moving about chanting activity wholly unrelated to the Lucky Day jolly that I was there for, were issued a pair of dice and threw them to determine where your first activity would take place.

I was despatched to Greyfriars where a ceilidh was in progress.  I didn't dance but watched and listened for a bit before throwing again to determine my next destination.  So it went on until I got to the Roxy where the queue to throw was so long that I abandoned the exercise and went back to the museum to drink coffee and people watch until heading for Buccleuch where Les Plasticiens Volants were to do their stuff and give us their version of the BIG BANG.

Thank God there was no wind and no rain so the event went off well and strange creatures floated through the sky and swooped down on the crowd.  An earlier post has some pics.  The show had a musical backing and an intermittent commentary in pseuds corner style that probably would have sounded better in French especially for those who didn't understand the language.

I've experimented with Youtube to create a little video listing all the things I did but it's pretty hopeless.  I may be able to do better but in the meantime:      

No comments: