Monday, October 22, 2012

For unknown reasons, no doubt deeply significant psychologically,  I have long longed for a thermometer on my balcony.  I even went to the extent of adding one to my Amazon wishlist but several Christmases passed without anyone taking the bait so I bought one.

I chose one with a nice big display that I would be able to see through the French window and that was described as being for interior or exterior use.  The accompanying leaflet however gave a more nuanced description.  When used outside it must be in a dry situation because it's only splash proof.

Thus the little shed made from a Quality Street jar carefully cut open to ensure that the gadget doesn't sit in a micro climate but which will I hope offer the necessary degree of protection from driving rain.

Now although I have getting on for a dozen different packets of scews lying around in my DIY oddments box none of them have a head small enough to fit the hanging holes on the back of the theremometer.  Thus the ingenious engineering solution of picture hook and cork worthy of inclusion in a Heath Robinson drawing.

       

No comments: