Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I sat up late last night watching Days of Wine and Roses which I had recorded from its transmission in the middle of the previous night. My memories of the film had dulled over the nearly 50 years since I first saw it but I knew it was about the demon drink, that brandy Alexander was chief baddie and that Jack Lemmon played a stormer.

All of that was borne out by the re-viewing and although some of it seemed mightily melodramatic it was a story that could put the fear of death into you if you were sipping while you watched, even moderately. I had to cough furiously not to feel ill at ease about my hot toddies.

I toyed with the idea of watching another film to bring me up to 4.20 when Andy Murray's first match was due to start but decided to record it. It will be on the red button the BBC website said so I found red button on my channel guide, set the time and went to bed.

Morning came but no Murray. The recording was blank. I was I believe a victim of red button interactivity, which seems to be defined as splitting the activity between channels 301 and 303. Too bad if you plump for the wrong one.

No comments: