Sunday, January 03, 2010

Event piled upon event.

I was invited/persuaded to go to see Avatar this afternoon. It is complete nonsense of course but an absolutely wonderful film. Reportedly 1000 people worked on it and given the time it took to roll the credits I can believe that. There is no Best Boy credited but that's because this is an entirely different sort of movie. Instead we have a roll call of animation chappies, virtual studio heads, visual whatsits and performance capture TDs. It seems unlikely that Irish parliamentarians were involved so TD must mean something else in this context.

After the film we met Ewan and had a few drinks in the Blue Blazer where we were lucky enough to be picked out to sample three beers from Stewart Brewing. Delicious stuff that I can heartily recommend.

Those beers plus a pitstop at Greyfriars Bobbie on the way home may well have contributed to the slide that floored me outside the Deep Sea Fish Bar though the uncleared pavement must take the major part of the blame. According to Mr. Deep Sea it was the greedy people further up the Walk who had filched all the road salt that he would otherwise have scattered in front of his premises. What's wrong with shifting the snow with a shovel I thought as I lay there recovering my breath, but charitable as ever I held ma wheesht.

100 yards further down the road I realised that Leith Walk was out of focus not because of my having over imbibed but because I was no longer wearing my specs. I retraced my steps and found them undamaged outside the Deep Sea.

I got home after only one more fall and was unsurprised to find that the statutory notice has had all the impact of a savaging by a dead sheep.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This sounds like an episode from the Broons. Have you made it up?