Tuesday, January 16, 2007



I thought I had better put in my tuppence worth to commemorate the passing of the Act of Union by the Scottish parliament on 16th January 1707. A lot of books have been published this year analysing the events that led to the Union, assessing the strength of opionion for and against at the time and evaluating the benefits that have or have not accrued to the two countries since. I confess that I have read none of them despite intentions to the contrary.

There is lively discussion in the media on both sides of the border about where the Union goes from here. Will the SNP win in May? Would the Scots vote for independence if it were offered? Is there an answer to the West Lothian question? Do the English want a parliament of their own?

The Scotsman has published some good stuff and they are sending a van round the country to take what they call "The Nationhood Debate" to the people. I'm planning to go to a couple of events at the university in March to hear what various luminaries have to say.

Personally I have no problem thinking of myself as Scottish, British and European more or less in that order and while I have no doubt that Scotland could thrive as an independent state I don't see independence as particularly desirable. Should we not be looking for ways to come together in the modern world rather than draw apart? Devolution has given us the opportunity to go our own way in building a society for daily life in accordance with our own values, traditions and ambitions. It seems to me that we should develop that opportunity to the full and at the same time draw from and contribute to the British state and the European Union.

The flag images came courtesy of World Atlas.

No comments: