Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I had a very pleasant few days in the Borders with some old school friends. We've got into the habit of meeting up every so often. Sometimes just for a meal, sometimes for a couple of days, and most elaborately a year or so ago for a week together in Croatia.

We did nothing very active. Most of our time was spent loafing about the house drinking and chatting. The girls inspected various cashmere outlets and I found myself, after a disappointing visit to Hawick's Saturday market (more of a car boot sale) having a potter around the town with Bob and Caroline that included factory shop visits. They bought a few things but despite being sorely tempted by some of Pringle's delightful golf shirts I resisted. I must sneak back sometime when the budget allows.

One evening we ate a good dinner, served in a warm, comfy dining-room by friendly staff at the Mansfield House Hotel. The place seemed to be empty apart from us. Let's hope that this was unusual else they'll be out of business before long and I can't think that they deserve that.

I got back to Edinburgh on Sunday in time to start rehearsing Work In Progress. It's the Grads entry for the SCDA One Act Festival. The most exciting thing about the rehearsal for me was that I discovered that the one member of the cast I didn't know was the daughter of a girl I was at school with. One of those small world moments.

No comments: