Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Some of the goodies on sale one recent Sunday morning at Stockbridge market.  Every now and again I wander over that way, often via the Botanics and Inverleith Park or, as on this occasion through the New Town.  Both routes provide lots of interest to look at for the leisurely stroller.

Were I a weegie I would probably find lots of interest to look at on a stroll around the West End but as a visitor I generally make do with a virtual stroll by way of Alasdair Gray's mural at Hillhead subway station before setting off to find an eatery or to get to Kelvingrove or wherever because I always seem to have an objective when I go to Glasgow.  

Lunch with Andrew was my objective last time and we ate at a place called Brel in the aforementioned West End.  I started with onion soup which was unfortunately over peppered, but perhaps that's where Begian onion soup differs from French.  The risotto that followed was however delicious so I wasn't totally disappointed but we decided to have coffee elsewhere.

We didn't go far.  Just the other side of the lane in the very pleasant Grosvenor cinema's bar.  In the cinema itself Alasdair Gray popped up again in the form of the film of his extraordinary novel Poor Things.  We contemplated going to see it but instead strolled up to Oran Mor where we took a few snifters to the sound of a folkies afternoon jam session.

I caught up with Poor Things back in Edinburgh one evening.  I had read the book just before Christmas but whatever pictures in my mind accompanied that reading were outclassed by the phantasmagorical settings of the film.  I agree with every word that Peter Bradshaw had to say about it in The Guardian but maybe, just maybe, the book was enough for me.

Another gem of Scottish literature is Jekyll and Hyde which I saw at the Lyceum in a version adapted for performance on the stage by one person.  Fair enough you might say given that Jekyll and Hyde were just one man!  It was an excellent production technically and extremely well played by Forbes Masson.  On the other hand it was  one of those occasions when I ask myself whether all that skill, expertise and hard work could not have been better employed breaking new ground.   Dine provided Ross, Siobhan and I with a tasty tea before the show.

In January it's hard to avoid the work of Robert Burns.  I didn't try to avoid it.  Indeed I brushed up my knowledge of Address to a Haggis in anticipation of being asked to recite it at the Burns Supper that Claire is wont to organise.  I'm sure the pleasure of those present was not diminished by the omission of that recitation.  Company, chat and extremely fine haggis and trimmings made it a grand evening.

I have at last got around to visiting the new rooms in the Scottish National Gallery that have been created to better display Scottish art.  I was familiar with most of the works on display but enjoyed seeing them in the new setting and finding other works that I didn't know.  I found the sloping floors and different levels a bit odd though.  I can't see that they lent anything to the experience so I assume they must be due to something about the site.

Painting has featured at home as well.  I've had the lounge and hall painted and await the laying of new carpets.  I hope I don't have to wait too long because my spare room, my bedroom, the kitchen and even a bathroom are playing host to the furniture and other junk that filled hall and lounge.

No comments: