Tuesday, January 16, 2024

 

It was a very dull and drizzly day when i went up to Dundee to visit the Tartan exhibition at the V&A.  Before going in I made a number of attempts at taking a picture of the Discovery none of which turned out very well.  Rain on the lens, lamposts in the way etc., so I've cropped one to get what I think is a tolerably decent shot of the rigging.

I had heard a talk about the Tartan exhibition some time ago that excited my interest but I was less excited when I went round it.  The item I liked best was a film clip from Gregory Burke's wonderful play Black Watch.  It was the scene in which a soldier is dressed by his comrades in a sequence of uniforms from the beginnings of the regiment to its deployment in desert camouflage in Iraq.  The soldier takes no active part though he talks throughout.  The others handle him as though he were a doll, turning him this way and that, upending him and righting him as required.  Tartan features in the sequence of course.

Accompanying it was a short video of Burke and John Tiffany, the director who made so much out of the powerful text, in discussion with some senior school pupils in Dundee.  One girl asked why the characters used such "forceful" language.  It's a term I intend to use from now on when effing and blinding fills the air.

Anyway the exhibition was ok and I had a pleasant snack lunch with a tasty glass of white before I got the train home.

I had a similarly pleasant fish tea, sans wine, before going to Scottish Ballet's Cinders where the wine deficit was made up.  There was an interesting talk beforehand that gave us an idea of the complexity of the endeavour.  The ballet itself was enjoyable.  The story had been tweeked a little and in some performances Cinders was a young man and the Prince was a Princess but not the night we were there.  I can't say that I felt it a great loss.  

The SCO concert I went to the other week had an eastern european feel to it with Ravel's Tzigane and Mozart's so called Turkish violin concerto and the like.  The piece that caught my ear was by Ligeti.  His Concert Românesc is on Youtube.

Arkle's Spring production this year is a version of Cyrano de Bergerac. There was quite a big crowd at the audition.  I went along in full knowledge of my nose being too small to play Cyrano and my age being too great for a Gascon cadet.  I thought maybe the baker would be within my range but instead I have been cast as the ham actor Montfleury.  That will obviously demand a great deal of acting out of character.  I'll even have to act fat!  I'm also to be a priest.

I had a very sporty day on Sunday.  It started with Djokovic's long and arduous first round match at the Australian Open.  It took him four sets and four hours to conquer the young Coatian qualifier Dino Prizmic.  He was full of praise for Prizmic after the match.  Then Ronnie O'Sullivan took the stage in the afternoon session of the Masters snooker.  He came out of that even-stevens with Ali Carter.  After some exciting downhill skiing in Austria it was back to snooker and despite Carter's best efforts Ronnie switched on his genius in the latter stages and whacked Carter 10-7 to win the Masters for the eighth time. 

I've watched a bit of tennis since then, basically just what's on when I get up since choosing a match can involve nocturnal activity thanks to the time difference.  Luckily I've seen a couple of good matches involving British players.  Katie Boulter had a convincing win over a fancied Chinese player and it was good to see Emma Raducanu back in a grand slam, clearly enjoying herself and beating Shelby Rogers.  Mind you Rogers contributed a good number of unforced errors towards that win.  It will be interesting to see how Raducanu gets on in the next round.

The unforced errors I mentioned figure in statistics that the broadcasters display at the end of the set or match together with percentage of first serve success etc.  A line new to me now appears and for which I have found, but perhaps not appreciated, an explanation.  It's "hunting 3rd shot forehands". This it seems measures the number of times the server plays a forehand stroke as their first post serve hit, indicating their desire to dictate the point.  Well did you ever?

No comments: