Friday, July 20, 2018

The Napier Jazz Summer School has been on this week and although I didn't take part this year I had it in mind to go to their concert but for one reason or another I didn't make it.

I have been to some other Jazz Festival gigs though and have more booked for this weekend.  The only one worth reporting so far was Martin Kershaw's.  He'd gathered a few locally well known players together to present the world premiere of a piece he's written called Dreaming of Ourselves.

The title comes from a book by David Foster Wallace who died ten years ago and the music and the concert were in tribute to him.  I've never read any of his work and he sounds a bit of an oddball to put it kindly and I can't say I understand the process of creating music in response to anything; person, book, scenery or whatever.

But the result in Martin's case was super.

No comments: