Tuesday, July 03, 2018

Numéro Une or Woman Up as it is known here is a feminist drama.  It tells the story of a woman already well up the business ladder who, boosted by a group of women whose mission is the furtherance of the sisterhood, is persuaded to have a go at getting the top job in a company from the CAC 40, the French equivalent of our Footsie 100.

Her hospitalised philosophy teacher father is somewhat sceptical about the business world and her American husband fears for his own career.  Indeed he loses his current job as collateral damage in the machinations that are unleashed.

Sad to say there are lots of machinations and dirty tricks not only from the entrenched interests that oppose her but from her side also.  She succeeds only by stooping to the underhand ways of the male.

I don't think that's a very encouraging or edifying message to women doing their best to break through the glass ceiling.

Peter Sellers has always been one of my favourite actors.  I've enjoyed lots of his films but had never seen Being There in which he plays a simpleton whose deadpan delivery of trite statements about the seasons and gardening are taken by the rich and powerful to be insightful metaphors that illustrate the ills of the world and how to resolve them.  It's very. very funny.

When I went to see Man of Iron I thought I was going to a documentary about Lech Wałęsa, the founder of the independent trade union Solidarność.  Instead it was a drama dealing with the period and the struggle to bind the shipyard workers together and the personal stories behind the events.  I've no idea how true to the facts it was but I didn't care for it much as a film. That's probably a hanging offence because I've since discovered that it won the Palme d'Or at Cannes in 1981.

It contains a lot of shouting and ill-tempered squabbling and weeping women, none of which moved me in the slightest.  All of which struck me as melodramatic over-acting.  That no doubt is my insensitivity at work but there we are.

That's the Film Festival over for another year.

No comments: