Thursday, June 21, 2018

It's the season of summer concerts from local bands and Dunedin's, in which I will be playing, is on in a couple of weeks.  Cue for publicity --
Some of my friends play in the Edinburgh Concert Band and I went to their Summer Sparkler.  It was an excellent concert and not the least of their treats was the world premiere of a piece called Step-Up written for them under the Adopt a Composer scheme .

Naturally the composer, Gaynor Barradell, was there and gave us a rundown on the inspiration for the piece and its form.  "It's an imaginary journey by bike through Edinburgh's streets, dodging traffic, pedestrians, tourists groups, spilling across steps and closes, reaching the Scottish Parliament for some trickery on the concrete walls and benches, then climbing the stoney paths of Arthur's Seat, reaching the summit, legs and lungs burning from sheer exertion."

Well I got the bit about traffic at the beginning but I can't honestly say that I would have interpreted the rest unaided and indeed even aided as I was.  But I enjoyed the music.  I thought it was an exhilarating and tuneful piece.  I loved the final moments when one of the percussion players whirled a rope around her head.  It may have been a special musical rope I suppose rather than any old rope.  But in either case the quiet sound it produced was surely meant to represent the slow revolutions of a tired bicycle wheel.

Rehearsals for the Fringe show I'm in are underway.  It's called Skirt and is a feminist drama.  Cue for more publicity but I don't have a flyer yet so I'll direct you straight to the Fringe booking system
https://tickets.edfringe.com/whats-on/skirt

I play a somewhat unlikeable party functionary up from London to persuade my party's leader in Holyrood to ignore her loyalties to family and friends and come south to head up the opposition in Westminster. It's a lovely part.  I'm not copying anyone in particular but am taking inspiration from various slimy creatures from all parties.

That brings me to a book recommendation.  The Lies of the Land by Adam Macqueen is a wonderful compendium of the prevarications, half truths and downright lies of politicians and other state actors at home and abroad.  It ranges from Churchill to Trump and is a must read for the sceptical and the trusting alike.

The Film Festival got underway last night and its opening screening of Puzzle was graced by the presence of its director, Marc Turtletaub, and its star, Kelly Macdonald.  It's a super film, really warm, gentle and funny in which Macdonald's character moves from being the quiet housewife whose every action is directed towards the comfort of her husband and sons to being a person realising her innate talents and expressing her individuality.
  

No comments: