Thursday, June 14, 2018

I was invited to a reception held last night in the Scottish Parliament to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the Young Lyceum.  I'm sure I owe my invitation to my sons whose Christmas presents a couple of years ago were replaced by a donation to help fund the participation at the Lyceum of youngsters who would otherwise not have had the means.

We were ushered through the building to the garden lobby where various politicos and journalists buzzed about on their everyday business.

Then some MSP chappie whose name I didn't catch and whose face I didn't recognise kicked it off, apologising for the absence of the culture minister who was doubtless at a higher level beanfeast.

David Greig with the assistance of a couple of youngsters made a brief speech.  We were then treated to a performance of sorts by the multitudes of the Young Lyceum disposed about the steps leading down from the chamber.

It wasn't a lavish affair but there was enough vino and vol au vent to ensure I left on the tipsy side, though not too tipsy to forget to recover my mini swiss army knife wrested from my keyring by the security staff when I arrived.

There were a couple of old friends there and through them I made some pleasant new acquaintances so all in all it was a good evening.

No comments: