Friday, March 30, 2018

Here I am enjoying a draught of après-ski on the final afternoon of my holiday.  I'm not generally a beer drinker but I found the Austrian hooch most palatable, more so than their wine - the bog standard haus wein anyway.

The weather was nothing like the warm sunny Spring of Kronplatz last year.  The mountain tops were visible on only one day, being shrouded in mist and cloud otherwise, but only one day was truly horrible.  I gave my thighs a rest that day and took the train down to Innsbruck.

I've been in and out of the airport several times but never before into the city.  There is some lovely baroque architecture to admire in the old town and it probably looks even more lovely when the sun shines on it. 

They were getting themselves geared up for Easter.  Giant eggs were on display in various parts of the city centre.  Here's one:-
There was a definite end of the season feel about Seefeld which I suppose must be why it was so quiet despite being only 20kms from Innsbruck.  The snow was in excellent condition too especially on my last day following a heavy fall overnight.  But not many were there to enjoy it as you can see from this picture taken on a day when the sun shone a bit.

 Back home I've seen a couple of films, the rather odd-ball The Square which takes the mickey out of modern art and the wonderful Cabaret which gives us Liza Minelli's so vulnerable and so determined Sally Bowles against the the background of the rise of the Nazi party.  I saw a production of the stage  musical not long ago but the film transcends it in every way.  Joel Gray as the Kit Kat club MC is an impossible act to follow.

I had the pleasure of reading Benedick at the readthrough of the Grads upcoming Fringe show Much Ado about Nothing.  I was in the show the last time the Grads did it as a lowly henchman of the villain.  Obviously I shan't be playing Benedick this time round unless David adds a geriatric touch to his slimmed down re-genderd version but it was fun to read the part.

Something else I read the other day amused me.  On the side of a box containing an electric toaster was the boast that the gadget had a "climate sensing toasting cycle".  So whatever happens with global warming we can rest assured that our breakfast will be safe.

No comments: