Thursday, January 05, 2017

Glasgow likes to call itself "the dear green place" and according to The Guardian's listing of the greenest cities in the UK merits the nickname since 32% of its surface area is green space.  That makes it the second greenest city in the country.  But in first place with a whopping 49% is the city pictured above, Edinburgh.

I've been back in the said green spot for ten days or so but must confess I haven't strayed far from its paved or tarmacked spaces.  More than that, apart from attendance at a convivial Hogmanay dinner and an audition for the Grads' next show I've taken my pleasures at home.

My diary is filling up with outings though so this restful period will not last much longer.  It certainly won't last long enough for me to get through my Christmas books and DVDs.  I'm only on the first one which is a ream sized volume of Vivienne Westwood's diaries from 2010 to 2016.  Unlike most published diaries it's extensively illustrated.  There are fashion pictures of course but also some more personal illustrations and a deal of stuff related to her environmental/political preoccupations.

I hadn't realised that she was such a fervent environmentalist but to say she has a bee in her bonnet about climate change goes no way towards describing her fervour.  It's a most interesting book and something of a riveting read.   

No comments: