Friday, January 22, 2016

On my way back home I spent a day in Stuttgart where I took this photo of a photo of São Paulo railway station. Something of an odd choice of souvenir you may think but there is a reason for it.

Next to the main station in Stuttgart they are digging a big hole.  That's where a new station is to go as part of a monumentally expensive and controversial redevelopment that knocks our pitiful tram project into the dust.  Google Stuttgart21 for the full story.

Anyway, along the walkway that fringes the hole and leads out of the existing station (a fine building) is a display of photographs of notable stations from around the world. São Paulo's is an impressive example but what led me to photograph it was learning from the caption that the station was built in Glasgow then shipped out and assembled on site.  Days of engineering glory.

After a pleasant lunch looking out onto the Scloss Garten, a green space in the middle of town, I got on a red double decker for a city tour.  The winter frequency of these tours is one an hour so I didn't get off at any intermediate stops despite the attractions of the Pig Museum in the old slaughter house (45,000 exhibits) and the vineyard walk (several hectares of vineyard within the city) and the Mercedes Benz museum.

Another trip will be needed when I might find someone to explain to me why wine is served in quantities of 110 or 210 millilitres.

No comments: