Monday, August 17, 2015

My second visit to the Book Festival was even more fun that the first.  Irving Finkel with his long white beard and his unruly hair tied back in a pigtail of sorts looks every bit the curator of cunieform tablets at the British Museum that he is.  Apparently he made that career choice at the age of eight.

So he knows a lot about the subject and gave a very interesting and amusing talk.  So engaging was he that I not only bought the book he was promoting but a previous one he wrote about deciphering tablets describing The Flood.

I held back from buying the newly republished translation of Cyrano de Bergerac by Edwin Morgan which provided excellent entertainment in a rehearsed reading but I may relapse because it's very good.  This Book Festival event was my second encounter with his version of the play which I saw on the stage in my one and only visit to Cumbernauld Theatre way back in 1992.  I had to go there because I couldn't get in in Edinburgh.

It was a super show and it was lovely just to hear the words again.

1 comment:

Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.