Saturday, July 11, 2015

Strasbourg is celebrating the 1000th anniversary of its cathedral.  Yes that's three zeros!  I don't know whether that's from the date they laid the foundation stone or when they topped it out but it's a very long time and merits much celebration.  Unlike many cathedrals one comes across in one's travels this one is not covered in scaffolding so you get a good view, and a crick in the neck because you can't get a long view thanks to the buildings crowding round.

As part of the celebrations there is a saxophone gig inside on three evenings.  Tonight was the second and although I queued for forty minutes I didn't get in, and this a building that holds many.  I'll have to get there earlier tomorrow. (I did manage to get to eight other gigs though in the course of the day).

However the evening was not entirely wasted.  I sat around eating ice cream things till another part of the celebration got going at 10.30.  This is a jolly amazing light show in which the sandstone carvings that adorn the building are at one stage coloured in and later appear as silhouettes. I didn't have a  camera with me but this tablet managed to capture the essence.


 I expect JGH will be able to tell me how it's done.  Terribly precise gels?


No comments: