Saturday, June 27, 2015

One of the features of film festivals is the opportunity to hear from the filmmakers at some screenings.  The directors were present and answering questions at all of the films I went to see and the Q&A sessions I attended were interesting.

I was sorry not to be able to wait to hear the director of Liza, the Fox Fairy. This was a weird surreal story of a girl who is haunted by a Japanese pop singing ghost and believes she is under a curse that will cause all men she comes in contact with romantically will die.  It sounds absurd and it was, somewhat in the theatrical sense of the term, and very very funny.

I was not sorry to miss Johnnie To and was even sorrier not to have missed his film Exiled.  Set in Macao it follows a set of gangsters through blood and mayhem for 110 tedious minutes.  Inevitably I was forced to compare my reaction to this with my much more favourable reaction to Tarantino's equally blood strewn films.  I think that, strange though it sounds, his work despite being splattered with gallons of tomato juice blood has a realism and features fully human characters that I didn't find in Exiled.

Maybe if I understood Chinese I'd have found more in the movie.

No comments: