Wednesday, June 24, 2015

If I'd been asked who invented the moving picture I'd have answered "the Lumiere brothers", but a world premiere at the Film Festival sought to persuade me that it was a someone else, still a Frenchman but one working in Leeds.

There is indeed a blue plaque there telling the world about Louis Le Prince.
So all of Yorkshire accepts him as the man who is ultimately to blame for The Terminator franchise and worse but not many outside that county have even heard of him.

This is a situation that David Nicholas Wilkinson has tried for over thirty years to rectify and The First Film is the documentary fruits of his labour.  It was screened for the first time at the Odeon last night.

(In parenthesis I note that I probably haven't been in the Odeon since it stopped being the ABC.  It is now a pizzeria with four screens in the basement rather than the big cinema that I vaguely remember.)

The film is quite interesting though long-winded, and I'm not sure that it matters very much which of the various pioneering groups and individuals working in the field in the late 19th century was first.

The main reason that we haven't heard more about Le Prince is that his work (of which only a few minutes has been found) stopped when he boarded a train in Dijon where he had been visiting his brother and was never seen or heard from again.

No comments: