Saturday, June 28, 2014

My recording device isn't clever enough to cope with a channel change so I didn't manage to see much of Murray's third round match but it seems to have been another confident and well controlled victory so the omens are set fair for next week.

I'll be sampling the delights of a Catholic girls boarding school on finals day so if Murray makes it I'll be reliant on recording but we can be pretty sure the entire match will be broadcast on one channel.  The girls have been sent home on holiday so will be spared the noisy efforts of the aspiring musicians attending Richard Michael's Summer Jazz School and vice versa.    

One well known Catholic girl (that's my assumption given her origins) made a surprise appearance with the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra in a packed Usher Hall last night.  Nicola Benedetti came on to play one number with the band (part of Wynton Marsalis's Blood on the Fields).  That meant that in the absence of Joe Temperley from the line-up we still had a Scottish element.  I was disappointed that Temperley wasn't there but at 84 a twenty gig tour even though it included his native Scotland is maybe a bit daunting and for all I know he's not too well.

Big band music is not really top of my pops so although I enjoyed the concert I liked best the encore when Marsalis came back on with the rhythm section and played absolutely divinely for ten or fifteen minutes putting his trumpet through all possible shades from squawk to lullaby. And isn't the Queen's Hall a much better fit for that style of music?  Yes, though it clearly couldn't have satisfied the demand for places.  

No comments: