Thursday, June 19, 2014

It would be a bit hyperbolic to call the tram route in from the airport scenic but it's very pleasant and the journey struck me as a good way for a visitor to arrive in the city.  It's not the fastest mode of transport, especially going round corners when you might call its progress stately if you were being kind but it's comfortable and there's plenty room for luggage.  What a pity the rails don't stretch that last 0.6 miles (says Google) to McDonald Road.

I suppose that yesterday's weather helped.  Edinburgh looked at her best in the warm sunshine.  I always think it's a bit of a bummer when coming back from holiday to find good weather.  Why did I spend all that money to go to the Mediterranean when I could have sunbathed happily at home?

Unfair I know and of course I wouldn't have seen this
Mount Etna was having a little eruption when we were in the area.  Indeed the airport at Catania was closed for a bit because of ash the day before we were due to fly out.  Thanks to the roof of a parked car I was able to keep the shutter open for a while without the fuzzing that would have resulted if I'd been holding the camera.  The picture was taken in Acireale which is about 25 miles away.

No comments: