Sunday, July 28, 2013

That washboard takes some punishment as this band blast out a combination of newly invented New Orleans jazz and great old standards like Basin Street Blues.  They had feet tapping and bodies swaying in their seats in the Tron Kirk yesterday and I've no doubt a late night audience would have been up dancing.  I may check that out during the Fringe when they play some midnight gigs in a one time favourite nightspot of mine.

At the other end of the jazz spectrum trumpeter Sean Gibbs headed a quintet playing contemporary pieces, many being his own compositions.  It was an excellent set and sadly no CDs were available otherwise I'd be listening to it again.  But some previous pieces can be heard (and even purchased) here.

A different sort of music greeted me at the Fashion Festival runway show later.  Played insufferably loudly on top of a grinding throb throb throb I was so glad that I had earbuds in my pocket and could block out a fair bit of it.  I couldn't have stayed for more than ten minutes otherwise but no-one else in the room seemed in the slightest discomfited.  Either deaf already or going that way.  It can't be my sensitive ear.

The show itself was quite fun.  There were no seats.  The audience stood around a marked track through the gallery that the models followed and the numbers were low enough to ensure that everyone had a front row view.  Unfortunately I had only a phone camera and its out of focus, dim images caused me to quickly give up snapping.

It was adequate to capture this headful of hats amidst a small number of static displays though.


I voiced my admiration to the lady who makes them and expressed disappointment that she didn't do men's hats as well.  Sorry, she said, but depending on how flamboyant you were prepared to be you could wear one of these.  She must have had that quiet beige one in the top right-hand corner in mind.  If you're that flamboyant here's her website.

No comments: