Saturday, April 13, 2013

If I were a twit I'd have been tweeting to the world with joy this morning as I made my way homewards from Summerhall in deliciously almost warm Spring sunshine.  Has winter gone at last?

I'd been to Summerhall to hear Owen Dudley Edwards expatiate on Conan Doyle; not as the writer of Sherlock Holmes although that creation popped up frequently, but as a historical novelist.  Dudley Edwards spoke at a rate of knots for an hour without referring to a single note and in the couple of extracts he read performed with gusto, endowing the various characters with appropriate voices.  He has clearly been a loss to the stage.

This talk was part of the latest addition to Edinburgh's bouquet of festivals - the Historical Fiction Festival.  Yesterday I enjoyed some enlightening words on Walter Scott in a celebration of the completion of the Edinburgh edition of his novels.  All 29 volumes available at the special discounted festival price of £1300.  Perhaps they will be remaindered before I run the chance of bumping into Sir Walter and I will be able to profit from the scholarship that makes them preferable to the cheapo editions that have passed through my hands over the years.  I was a bit surprised to realise in the course of the talk that I have read quite a bit of Scott; not recently it's true but one of the speakers maintained that his omission from the current school curriculum is no bad thing since in her opinion it's better to encounter his work as an adult, so maybe it's time for a second exposure.

I was also surprised later in the day how scenes from The Leopard came back to me as they were mentioned in the discussion between Alan Massie and Joe Farrell of Lampedusa's superb tale of the transition from aristocratic hegemony to bourgeois thralldom in 19th century Sicily.  Thanks to the generosity of Valvona and Croalla the hour between the end of the discussion and the screening of Visconti's film of the novel was enlivened by a glass or three of Nero d'Avola.

In the course of this quaffing I was approached by two chaps one of whom said that surely I was Ken somebody or other.  I didn't catch the surname but surmised from his slightly shy manner that this Ken was a public person, whether a historical novelist or an academic commentator I know not.  My reply was simply no and that it is very easy to mistake one bearded bald headed old man for another.  But the three of us had a jolly chat for quarter of an hour so thanks to Ken X for that.

Unlike most book festivals this is not primarily a shop window for authors exposing their new works for sale.  Admittedly in the cases of Scott, Lampedusa and Conan Doyle that would be tricky but so uncommercial is it that the Summerhall bookshop has only a few books by some of the living authors who feature and now that I have bought their one copy of Conan Doyle's The Exploits and Adventures of Brigadier Gerard they have nothing at all by the dead ones.

There will soon be lots of books in Summerhall since the SCDA have found space there for their script library, having had to move from the council premises they currently occupy.  I don't want to claim all the credit but when they appealed for a new home in November last year I suggested they try there. 

Twits will no doubt have been exchanging 140 character bursts of applause over the Grads' production of Jerusalem which earned itself a five star review this week.  Last night is tonight so you still have time to see it - Adam House at 19.30.  It's a great show.

I suppose you can characterise anything that has men and women dancing in close proximity one to the other as being about love so Labyrinth of Love is a pretty good title for the piece that Ballet Rambert open their current tour with.  It was lovely to look at, had some gorgeous leaping around, staggeringly athletic lifts and a very impressive giant whose bottom half had to gyrate, run and swoop in the blindness of an enfolding skirt.  There's a glimpse of that in this video.  I loved the music, the singer and the background projections so that was a very satisfactory start to the evening for me.

The second piece which also had live music was less exciting.  It was beautifully done, pretty to look at etc but unmemorable.

Now for both of these pieces there was a deaf interpreter on-stage.  Since there was a singer in Labyrinth of Love you can see the point of that to pass on the words but it doesn't seem to me to add anything to make violin movements or whatever in a piece without words.  Indeed if you subscribe to the idea that dance is music made flesh it doesn't show much faith in the choreographer.

For the third and fourth items both the band and the interpreter headed for the hills and we were left in the one case with some mercifully brief shouting of recorded nonsense words and in the other some electronic tooting and scraping.

Now I don't object to electronic music.  Indeed I commissioned some for a theatre production I did but this was electronic music best appreciated by the deaf.

No comments: