Sunday, March 17, 2013

The concert went pretty well on Friday and afterwards some friends came back to the flat for a drink.  I'd laid in some nibbles in anticipation of this.  Amongst them was a packet of crisps that proved surplus to requirements and on Saturday I thought I'd munch through them while watching the rugby.

Now one of my frequent moans is that the food industry can't leave well alone.  No sooner, for example, had the British public developed a taste for meusli than the industry started mucking about with it.  There are shelf-fulls of variations; with chocolate chips, with tropical fruit, crisp and crunchy etc.  You are lucky to find a straightforward bag of oats with some nuts and raisins and sultanas mixed in.

The same is true and even worse with crisps.  A good honest plain crisp is hard to find.  Dashing along the supermarket aisle scanning the packets, rejecting tomato and beef, barbecue, mexican chilli and so on and so on my eyes alighted on pepper and salt.  I grabbed it as likely to be the closest to plain that I would find without spending half an hour on the job.

My scan had unfortunately missed the adjective "popped".  I had never heard of a popped crisp.  They are apparently not baked, not fried, just popped.  On examination you can see bubbles on the surface and they are thicker than normal crisps.  They have a sort of woolly texture in the mouth.

They do not taste at all like potato crisps, unless crisps that have popped their clogs.  This is not surprising when you see that the principal ingredients are "potato flake (??), rice flour and salt".

Unfortunately we have not yet received our promised food waste recycling facility so these have gone to landfill.

No comments: