Wednesday, October 19, 2011

One of my multitude of summer golf prizes was a jar of gésiers de canard confits.  I had friends for dinner this evening and it seemed an ideal occasion to make use of them so I served up as first course a salade tiède made up of various leaves, slices of artichoke and the gizzards, for that is what hides behind the frenchified name of the duck bits.  The whole was doused in a dressing made from the confit in which the gizzards were preserved plus balsamic vinegar, moutarde de Dijon etc.

I did not announce to my guests until they had eaten the salad that they had just enjoyed "the thick-walled part of a bird's stomach, in which hard food is broken up by muscular action and contact with grit and small stones" for fear that it might put them off.   

No comments: