Monday, August 01, 2011

I'm just back from shopping at Carrefour.  One of the things I've always disliked there is that you have to weigh your own fruit and veg and stick a price ticket on them.  I still dislike it but I must admit I'm impressed by the technology they've put in place this year.

The weighing machine works out what you've put on the scales.  I suppose there must be a wee camera in there focused on the weighing platform.  You place your whatever it is, more often than not in a plastic bag, on the platform.  On the screen appear pictures of one or more items that it thinks you are weighing.  You touch the right one and it prints out a price ticket.

If it doesn't come up with the right item, which in my experience is very rare, you can scroll through pictures of fruit and veg to find it or if all else fails there's an alphabetic search.

I don't suppose these machines are cheap.  Maybe that's why their loyalty card gives you next to nothing.  Often it's a chit entitling you to a miniscule reduction on something provided you spend X amount of dosh on a given day.  Today my card gave me a reduction of 5 cents on one of the 37 items in my trolley and added 5 cents to my loyalty account, which is now groaning under the weight of a grand total of 76 cents.

No comments: