Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The BBC are giving tennis lovers a treat with their continuous coverage of the French Open on the pretty little red button. Yesterday I saw the young English girl Heather Watson become the first British lady since who knows when to get past the first round. She won convincingly against an opponent who simply lost heart in the second set. The monetary reward for reaching the second round is $45,000 so even if she goes no further she can pop home to mum and dad in Guernsey with her head held high and her pockets bulging.

I had to go out just as Andy Murray came on court this morning and have just watched a recording of his match. Given that the guy he played is well over a hundred places lower than him in the rankings I expected him to slaughter the poor chap. But in fact he struggled here and there in a way that I don't think either Nadal or Djokovic would have done so I don't rate his chances of getting past the semi-final but I'll be pleased if he does.

There was an absolutely cracking match later when Isner took Nadal all the way to the wire. Five sets of very exciting tennis which should fire Nadal up for the rest of the tournament.

No comments: