Saturday, March 12, 2011

The gong in this picture is a papier maché artefact but there was a real gong that made the noise that introduced J Arthur Rank movies. It's a Chinese instrument and its proper name is a tam tam. There will be an edition of Radio Scotland's Movie Café programme broadcast at 13.15 on Thursday 24th March that deals with this instrument and its history.

So what, you may say and why should I care? Well that tam tam now belongs to the Dunedin Wind Band for reasons which will no doubt be explored in the programme and I am a member of that band. I will be making my broadcast debut as a saxophonist in the programme.

I sat right in front of the gong during the recording so you will need to have a fine ear to pick me out but should you detect a wrong note during the 30 seconds of Pirates of the Caribbean that's likely to be broadcast that's very probably me.

No excuses now. If you are not able to tune in for the broadcast there is always the iplayer.

No comments: