Sunday, June 20, 2010

Usually when I'm within 50 miles or so of Paris I tune my car radio into TSF to get a jazz fix but today I stuck with France Musique.

They've been having something of a British focus this week. Many of their broadcasts have even come from London. This has been in celebration of De Gaulle's call to arms after the fall of France broadcast by the BBC on 18th June 1940.

This afternoon they were playing music by Vaughan Williams including his opera Sir John In Love which I don't believe I've ever heard before. It was very tuneful and most of the time very jolly so I stuck with it.

Apparently he based a lot of the music in the opera on English folk melodies, ten in all. The only one I can truthfully claim to have recognised was Greensleeves and that because it was played pretty straight. The least variation or disguise of a tune and I'm lost.

I wonder how I'd have fared listening to the 24 hour broadcast of covers of Yesterday if I hadn't known what was going on?

No comments: