Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Princes Street has been clear of tramworks since early on Sunday morning. I had determined to be there at 5 am, the time scheduled for the re-opening, but fortunately didn't make it because the re-opening was delayed a couple of hours by leaves on the line or heavy rain or another reason selected from the list of the usually suspected excuses.

But it looks great and if I had not been closeted at home working on a script this afternoon I would have taken advantage of the lovely bright frosty weather to bring you a sharply focussed, beautifully composed photograph of the street stripped of her protective wire fences.

I am slightly perturbed by the over-sized lamp-posts that you would be able to see on my pics if I had taken them. I assume these are part of the tram power supply. They look as though they will be as aesthetically unacceptable as the line of pylons that it is planned should stretch from Beauly to Denny.

But can we turn back the tide? No chance. The next campaign must be to waken the Council up to the sensible suggestion that the tramline be replaced or augmented by an underground railway system stretching to the outermost bounds of Fife.

No comments: