Friday, July 31, 2009

I have nursed an ambition to play Creon ever since I first saw Antigone with the Ghanaian poet Joe de Graff in the role. So I was disappointed that when a production did come around that I might have auditioned for, it was scheduled for when I would be away. Mind you I’ve never looked as regal as Joe de Graff and time has marched on to the extent that I suspect directors would be more likely to see me as a candidate for Tiresias or Chorus, blethering on about fate and kingship rather than for the king himself.

In any event I spent time yesterday sending emails to people publicising this production in which I am not. Here for non-recipients of my email is the flyer for the show.

The details may be a little indistinct because of the image size. Here they are:
Venue: Quaker Meeting House, 7 Victoria Terrace (Venue 40)
Dates and Time: 17 to 22 August at 8.15pm (1h 20m)
Prices: £8 (£6)
For more information visit www.egtg.co.uk or the show's site and you can buy tickets here.

Another show in which I am not but with which I have connections was also the subject of my email traffic yesterday. It's closely connected to Antigone because part of the action concerns two prisoners rehearsing scenes from that play. By Athol Fugard, the South African playwright, The Island was inspired by Robben Island the prison in which Nelson Mandela spent so many years and is illuminated by his experience and his humanity.

This production though uses white actors and shows how the play transcends its origins to speak out against dictatorships and political incarceration everywhere.

It comes to Edinburgh at the suggestion of Sir Derek Jacobi who presented the production with the Irving trophy for the Best One-act Production at the National Drama Festivals Association All Winners Festival in 2008.

Venue: The Space On The Mile @ The Radisson (Venue 39)
Dates and Time: 7 to 22 August at 8.15pm (1h 10m)
Prices: M T W £5 (£3.50) T F S £7.50 (£5)

For more information and for tickets visit The Space or you can buy tickets here.

No comments: