Friday, May 08, 2009

Caramel came out of the water on Wednesday. That was a fascinating process. I took lots of pictures but they are still in my camera unfortunately so you can't see how it was done.

We sailed into a narrow channel and a vast machine trundled over us, slings were slung below the boat, a diver plunged in to make sure the slings were not fouling any essential under water bits and the boat was raised into the air. (We were no longer aboard.)

Then the travel-lift, for such is the machine's name, rolled forward on its massive wheels and held the boat steady above the ground. A man with a jet hose scooshed water all over the hull for ever and a day. Then a cowboy nonchalantly but with precision drove a huge flatbed truck under the boat. Supporting hydraulic ramps were raised, the slings were removed and Caramel was trucked off to her temporary resting place for two more days of cleaning, dismantling and storing. I think it's a bit of a job closing up Barbansais at the end of the summer but that's nothing compared to this. We ended up propped up on various supports with a long ladder to get in and out since we were still living aboard. That has been a wee challenge for my knee and I'm pleased to report it survived.

Of course I've been spared much of the work since it has required yachtie skills. Added to that Daniel and I had a day off on Tuesday and motored about a bit so I'm not complaining, just marvelling.

I bumped into a Leith registered yacht in the boatyard today and had a chat with the owner. He's been sailing round the world for several years, single-handled for the last while because his wife got fed up and jumped ship in Singapore and headed back to Auld Reekie.

Patrick and Daniel flew off to Brussels this morning and I'm now in Port of Spain till Tuesday hoping to find something interesting to do.

No comments: