Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire was billed somewhere as "feel good film of the year" but now that I have at last seen it I couldn't disagree more strongly.

I'm sure I'm not giving away any secrets when I tell you that there is a happy ending. But that happy ending is for two individuals out of a cast of millions. The film as a whole presents an unremittingly bleak picture of poverty, squalor, inter-communal hatred, corruption, spite and cruelty. I'm not surprised that the Indian press were unhappy at the way in which their country was portrayed.

It's a good story and is well told but for me it's the "feel absolutely nauseated that anyone lives like that film of the year". Let's hope some of the millions made from it go back to alleviate their lives.

1 comment:

Claire said...

I agree!

I had my rant here: http://leith.live.blonde.net/blog/2009/01/celebrating-the-slums/