Wednesday, July 17, 2024

I took several snaps of this line-up but didn't manage to catch Nirek Mokar upright.  All the fault of the speed of light compared to my finger speed I expect.  He's a 21 year old boogie-woogie pianist from Paris and the generations behind him are his Boogie-Woogie Messengers, respectively from left to right, sax, drums and guitar.  I heard them play on the first night of the Jazz Festival and enjoyed the gig.  I'm not going to many gigs this year and decided to see only people I'd never heard of, preferably foreign.  The strategy has worked out well so far.  I've enjoyed them all with only one to go.

As a reminder to myself and in case you fancy judging my selection the others are Rosalind Orr, Nabou Claerhout, Cili Marsal, Kristina Barta and Theo Croker.

The Dunedin Wind Band held its end of term Summer concert which went well.  We're supposed to be relocating to a different church hall next term but I don't know where yet. It's a consequence of the continuing reduction in churchgoing whereby congregations amalgamate or churches are sold off for other uses.

Mostly in the last several weeks I've watched tennis on TV.  Thanks to the weather I haven't missed out on balmy days in the sunshine.  I hope to catch up on that when I go on holiday. Thanks to their roofs the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club got through their championships.  You have to wonder how they did it before the roofs when play took place on 13 days not 14 and there was no tie-breaker.  But they did because I saw it happen.

Apart from that I enjoyed a BBQ at Claire's and a brunch at Siobhan's where I met some very pleasant people from her French Yakety Yak group.

Other entertainment included a number of forgettable TV series.  I realised from the first frame of one that I'd seen it before but in all six episodes there was only one other frame that had stuck in my memory.  I wonder what had displaced it in my little grey cells.  Then there was a morning spent letting physio students loose on my supposed hip replacement.  Fun and hopefully useful.

No comments: