Monday, March 27, 2023

The RSA's "New Contemporaries" gives full rein to the skills and extraordinary imagination of the young artists coming out of Scotland's art schools.  It's breathtaking in its range and variety.

When I saw this particular work I asked myself why I'd never thought of doing something with the supermarket trolleys and traffic cones that are occasionally dumped in Dicksonfield other than getting rid of them.

I went to the exhibition by accident in a sense.  I set out to get a bus to Cramond to have a nice healthy walk up the river Almond and lunch at what used to be the Cramond Brig Hotel but is now a chain steak house.  But when I got to Princes St I found I'd have to wait nearly half an hour for a bus, something I can't abide so I went into the RSA and afterwards walked down to Piggs in the Canongate where I had quite a tasty tapas or three and a very satisfying tinto or two then tottered home.  So I did get a walk.

The Grads held an AGM this month which I attended only to find that I wasn't actually a paid-up member, a situation I have since rectified.  There was a series of party pieces after the business bit which was fun.  A short play that explored why Godot didn't turn up was I thought super.  It's an obvious question I'd never asked myself.  Martin Foreman's answer was satisfyingly Beckettian in style.

The NGS billed a talk entitled Photography in Japan and these being two of my current interests I had to go.  Paradoxically photography in Japan was at one and the same time central and peripheral to the subject matter.  It was really about Scottish painters Edward Atkinson Hornel and Rose Hill Burton, the visionary urban planner Patrick Geddes and the social networks they moved in during the late 19th century.  

Hornel visited Japan and based much of his painting on photographs taken there either by himself or Japanese photographers including one of the most prolific amongst them, Ogawa Kazumasa who visited Hornel in Scotland.  Hornel's large collection of those photographs are housed in Broughton House in Kirkcudbright where he lived.

Rose's brother William K Burton was an engineer working in Japan. He was a keen amateur photographer, one of the founding members of the Photographic Society of Japan and its first secretary.   Rose visited him there and on her return to Scotland used photographs taken there as models for her paintings and for the murals that she was commissioned to paint for Patrick Geddes's flat in Ramsay Gardens.

The talk was given by Antonia Laurence Allen from the National Trust for Scotland which looks after both Hornel's house and Geddes' flat.

I consumed only a little of the glass of wine to which I was entitled after the talk because I had to get to the Usher Hall.  Frankly it wasn't tasty enough to detain me.

The SCO were playing Handel and I went because I really enjoy his large scale choral works.  The concert had a royal focus.  It opened and closed with anthems written for the coronation of George II, Zadoc the Priest,  and The King Shall Rejoice.  Both are stonkingly rousing pieces that I enjoyed hearing.  No doubt we'll hear Zadoc when Charles III is crowned since it's been played at every coronation since 1727.

In between we had some Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks, neither of which involved the choir and Ode for the Birthday of Queen Anne which did.  The latter also involved three soloists and I thought it was terrific.  The interplay between the counter-tenor and a solo trumpet was just liquid gold.  Magic.

Magic too was Radio Scotland's Jazz Nights on Sunday.  Unfortunately that was its last edition since BBC Scotland despite petitions from the public and remonstrances from eminent musicians have axed the show.  On Sunday we heard music from four bright young Scottish players.  Entire tracks from Fergus McCready, Rachel Duns and Matt Carmichael and a trombone flourish from Anoushka Nanguy on tour with Soweto Kinch in Australia.  Radio Scotland offered them and others a large public platform that could be a springboard for career development.  Where can that come from now?

No comments: