Wednesday, February 22, 2023

These strangely dressed people are attendees at the Edinburgh Sci-Fi Convention.  I was there with the Dunedin Wind Band playing a selection of appropriate music for their entertainment early on a Saturday morning.  We players were then free to wander and wonder.  I'm not au fait with super heroes and space adventures and the world of Tolkien so 99% of the fancy dress and the literature and paraphernalia there assembled meant nothing to me.  But it was colourful and fun.

That's not quite my only outing over the last few weeks but I haven't done too much outside the house.  I went to an excellent SCO concert.  They played Mozart's flute concerto featuring the orchestra's own principal flute, Andre Cebrian, who then, accompanied by a handful of strings, gave a beautiful encore which as is often the case I enjoyed rather more than the  orchestral piece.  Everything else was great.  More Mozart, from Idomeneo.  Some Debussy and Stravinsky's cheerful Danses Concertantes.

With the photography group I went to St Giles and snapped around here and there trying to be arty.  Here's one of my efforts which may end up on a wall.


The library across the road now shows films. On Wednesdays they show mainstream stuff and I think once a month on Saturdays more recherché films chosen by someone who worked at the ill-fated Filmhouse.   I went over to see one of Godard's best regarded films, Pierrot Le Fou.  I rather enjoyed it despite the Nelson Hall's pillars obscuring my view a lot of the time.  I enjoyed it more than Bresson's 1959 film Pickpocket which I watched at home through my BFI subscription. But then although Pierrot deals with misfits and obsession as does Pickpocket it does so with a bit more humour.  Not always intentionally perhaps.

I don't think there was any humour at all in Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk which I missed when it was in cinemas but have now seen on TV.  Reading the Guardian's review I'm almost tempted to pretend that I didn't find it a long watch.  

More to my taste was Fortunes of War, a 1987 TV series that popped up on BBC4.  I'm not sure how much if any of it I'd seen when it first ran but I do remember reading The Balkan Trilogy which together with The Levant Trilogy are the books on which the mini series is based.  You could see the show as slightly zany wartime adventures but it's more an exploration of human relationships in a time of stress.  Kenneth Branagh is superb as the eternally busy English Lit teacher who devotes more time and care to sundry others than to his recently aquired wife.  As his wife Emma Thompson grapples with his loving neglect and tries to find space to express her own needs and wishes.  She's brilliant as are all the actors who portray the fascinating assortment of characters who people the story.

Other old material that I certainly hadn't seen before but which has been filling the gaps between commercial breaks on the likes of ITV3 and Drama has held me captive for several weeks.  Scott and Bailey are a pair of all action lady detectives in Manchester who despite their messy private lives solve a murder or two every week surrounded by a cast of fascinating goodies and baddies played by terrific actors.  George Gently on the other hand is closer to Dixon of Dock Green but with a harder edge as, accompanied by his ambitious and sometimes perceptive sergeant, he sorts out the villians of 1960s Northumberland.  I recorded these shows and watched them with remote poised to shoot through the comercials at speed trying not to overshoot.

A newer cops and robbers series I've binge-watched is The Gold, the story of the hunt for the Brinks Mat bullion robbers.  Again great characters both crooks and cops kept me hooked till the early hours.

Thanks to the BFI I renewed my aquaintance with The Handmaiden, a beautifully shot and performed film that panders to my current interest in things Japanese although it's Korean made and from a Welsh novel set in Victorian Britain.  I learnt that latter fact from Wikipedia which is the source of much of my knowledge these days.  Things Japanese included the fictionalised biography of Thomas Blake Glover by Alan Spence.  Glover for those who don't know was an Aberdonian loon who made it big in Japan in the 19th century.  Wikipedia tells you all you need to know about him.

The Boy With Two Hearts is a cleverly designed and adroitly performed play that tells the tale of a family's flight from Afghanistan to Wales after the mother's brave stand against Taliban rule.  It's a heart-rending story and the fact that it's true adds even more power to the piece.  It's available on NT at Home.  If you do watch it I'd encourage you to watch the accompanying short chat between the two boys from the family.  They wrote the book that the play is made from.

The trams come even closer as Leith Walk is opened to traffic for its entire length in both directions.  Bus heaven restored.

No comments: