Friday, April 03, 2020

Wednesday would have been the opening night of The Venetian Twins which I was rehearsing with Arkle until the virus intervened.  Another excellent Goldoni play is The Servant of Two Masters which in its adapted form of One Man Two Guvnors appeared last night on Youtube as part of the National Theatre's contribution to relieving the boredom of the housebound population.  I can't say I'm in the least bored but more of that later.

I saw One Man... at the Kings when it was touring and loved it.  I'd forgotten much of the detail but after the opening scene was over and the action moved to Brighton it gradually came back. Brilliant characterisations, amazing slapstick skills, such fun.  If you were depressed by home incarceration that would surely have lifted your spirits.

Wikipedia lists 13 adaptations for stage and screen including Victor Carin's Scots version Servant O' Twa Maisters which I have also seen.  I'm not sure where or when but it is not impossible that I saw Tom Fleming's production in 1965 that opened the first season of the then new Royal Lyceum Company.

Lord Reith's succinct BBC mission statement "inform, educate, entertain" still governs what they and the other broadcasting organisations that have come into existence since the 1920s do.  Add to that the worldwide digital resources that we have at our fingertips today and no-one with a radio, a TV or particularly a broadband connection need experience a minute of boredom.  Perhaps the Chancellor should have added Corbyn's free broadband pledge to his support packages.

I've been making full use of my broadband connection.

I auditioned online for a Fringe play.  The play itself has now fallen foul of the festival cancellations but that's another tin of beans.  I'm having my sax lessons via Skype.  I've signed up for some online Japanese conversation.  I've watched ballet and theatre that I would not have been able to see live and which under normal circumstances would never have appeared on screen, and there is much more in store.  The RSNO are providing concerts to their subscribers and the SCO have been sending little musical treats to my inbox.

I've started getting some indoor exercise (the outdoors being mostly verboten) thanks to dance classes for the elderly being screened by Sadlers Wells and by Scottish Ballet.  There's not much actual dancing involved which is just as well and it's not that ultra vigorous jumping about to the accompaniment of uncomfortably loud music that is also on offer online.  Sedate stretching and bending is at its core.

Last but certainly not least have been social gatherings via Skype and Zoom.

Offline there's reading of which I have lots to catch up on and my CD collection.

I'm making infrequent trips to the supermarket and taking even more infrequent short walks.

I am not undertaking a thorough or even a cursory Spring clean.

Wellnigh deserted Leith Walk

Closed All Hours

No comments: