Thursday, August 01, 2019

Somebody behind me in a theatre today said to their chum speaking of some other show "it wasn't a transcendental theatre experience......".  That's what we're all hoping for when we buy a ticket and fingers crossed it happens to me sometime this Fringe. 

It hasn't happened yet but early days, indeed only day 1.

Mengele - Josef Mengele was a nasty piece of work (see Wikipedia) and it's right and proper that the world should be reminded of the horrors that he and his like perpetrated for fear that we allow such things to happen again.  Theatre is an ideal way to do so for it can act on both our heads and our hearts.  I'm not convinced that this particular play succeeds in either exposing the irrationality of Mengele's ideas or in arousing the revulsion that his acts deserve but it tries.  I was struck by the minor irony that the production is dedicated to the memory of Eva Mozes Kor, a holocaust survivor who forgave Mengele and the Nazis, since the final scene gives him very short shrift indeed.

Spliced - I was very entertained by this play which is staged in a squash court.  The protagonist is a player of hurling and devoted member of the Gaelic Athletic Association.  (I had an Irish friend who was a keen GAA man and frequented the squash courts, but he never launched into the Irish national anthem in my hearing unlike my neighbour in this squash court and in Irish to boot).  Your man  jumps about and whacks the sliotair (ball) with his hurley (stick) back and forth most athletically.  Later in the play he recites yoga mantras while standing on one leg in his briefs and he acts while standing on his head.  I think it's about identity and group think versus individuality but it hardly matters since the actor is a most personable chap and the show is such fun.

Dazzle - the perennial display of beautiful jewellery which I wandered into between shows and was rewarded with a free glass of plonk. Some of the stuff was so lovely that I wondered if it was worth getting my ears pierced.

Suffering from Scottishness - a show that lulls you into thinking that it's all harmless humour but turns out to pack a political punch delivered with genuine passion.  Worth seeing.

No comments: