Thursday, May 23, 2019

I put up a wall mirror in my spare bedroom a couple of weeks ago.  So what you may ask; nothing very special about a bit of DIY.  That's true so far as it goes but this is a mirror that I brought from Mountcastle when I moved into this flat getting on for thirteen years ago.  It has lain propped up awkwardly against the fuse cupboard in the hall all that time.  It makes the pavement fix that I blogged about last time seem to have been carried out at the speed of light.

I shall have to do better with the ingress of water that has turned a corner of the lounge into a mini swamp.  But I shan't be bringing my DIY skills to bear on the problem.  I first suspected the central heating but a plumber cleared that and subsequently a roofer traced the source or sources to balcony and eaves.  Easy to fix he said.  We'll see.  Looking on the bright side the thirteen year delay in laying a new carpet seems almost prescient.

Bob and Caroline were up in Glasgow recently so the old school chums gang convened for lunch there and the usual jolly time was had by all.  Not quite so jolly as Claire's birthday lunch which ended up for me with a drop of shuteye in a Portobello pub until I was gently persuaded into wakefulness by the staff and went home to resume my nap on the settee.

Thanks to my membership of the Friends of the Queen's Hall I enjoyed a free gig and glass of wine there after my Glasgow lunch.  The gig was jazz of an elegant kind from Tim Garland and his trio.  Wikipedia tells us that Tim's music blurs the lines between modern jazz and classical music.  That seems a sound judgement to me.  Judge for yourself here or here.  

I was back at the Queen's Hall to hear Rocio and her quartet who were guests in a concert by the Kevvock Choir.  I was there to hear the saxophones of course but I did enjoy most of the choir's  performance and was particularly engaged by their singing of Victor Johnston's arrangement of Pie Jesu.

My own musical activity this month included a playaway day with the Dunedin Band.  The practice is for us to lunch together on grub supplied by the members and this time inspired by the delicious biscuits I brought home from Cortina I made a bundle of Amarettis.  So easy and so tasty.  Could be a weekly treat at home.

No comments: